PEUGEOT UK re-unites Bradley Philpot with the accomplished 300hp 208 endurance race car. The inaugural SILVERSTONE 24H race takes place over the 2nd and 3rd April. Class win and overall win are the goals of Team Altran PEUGEOT UK. PEUGEOT UK has set its sights firmly on first place in the 24H SILVERSTONE race, with driver Bradley Philpot at the helm, when the series roars into the Northamptonshire circuit this April.
Philpot, a senior Palmersport instructor, became a PEUGEOT UK Brand ambassador in 2013 after winning the 208 GTi Racing Experience competition and finishing on the podium at the 24H Nurburgring the same year. Last November he competed in the ‘Race of Champions’ at the former Olympic Stadium in London, beating among others Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button in the Pro Skills Challenge. The first edition of the new 24H SILVERSTONE race, part of the FIA sanctioned 24H SERIES championship, takes place on the 2nd and 3rd April. More than 70 teams from across the globe are already on the entry list, which is divided into 7 classes. Bradley Philpot will be driving the 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport #208 in the A3 class, partnering with a group of drivers who are all previous race winners in the class with the team. The 24H SILVERSTONE is the first race of the 24H SERIES that is open only to Touring Cars and therefore Team Altran PEUGEOT UK is aiming not only at a class win, but also at the overall podium with two 208 cars.
Bradley Philpot comments: I'm very excited to have the opportunity to compete in such a high profile event with PEUGEOT UK on home soil. To be aiming for the overall podium makes me very happy, driving for one of the most professional teams in the 24H SERIES paddock, and it's fantastic to reunite with them after our successful campaign at the Nurburgring in 2013.
Mark Pickles, Marketing Director at PEUGEOT UK, commented: We’ve enjoyed great success with Bradley at the wheel, and we wish him good speed and fortune at the 24H SILVERSTONE race. The 208 is our best-selling car and the GTi is at the pinnacle of the range. Combining these two makes for good odds with a top result at this auspicious inaugural event.
The 208 GTi race car is special – being one of three produced by Peugeot Sport specifically for endurance racing, within class regulations. It shares the same 1600cc EP6 CDT Turbocharged engine and Torsen differential which also equips the 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport road car, albeit it has an even-more powerful engine, up from 208hp to 300bhp – impressive for a 1.6-litre! The 208 race car weighs just 1000kg and utilises a bespoke sequential paddleshift gearbox. It is adorned with a black and high-gloss red ‘Coupe Franche’ paintwork, which is also a special production option available on the road going ‘GTi by Peugeot Sport’. Every session of the 24H SILVERSTONE event will be broadcast live in HD online at 24HSeries.com, with expert commentary from RadioLeMans.com. The race, which starts at 4.00pm on the 2nd of April, will enjoy extensive live coverage on Motors TV which is free to air in the UK.
- 120 years since PEUGEOT Automobiles business was established and produced its own engines
- 115 years since the first PEUGEOT Bebé was launched – it became a ‘style leader’
- 100 years since PEUGEOT won the Indianapolis Grand Prix for the second time (wins 1913/1916/1919)
- 80 years since the launch of the 402 (produced as a Limousine, Coupé, Cabriolet and Coach)
- 75 years since the VLV - the first production electric car
- 60 years since the launch of the 403 Cabriolet – made famous as the car of ‘Columbo’ on TV
- 50 years since PEUGEOT won the East African Safari rally for the second time (wins 1963/1966/1967)
- 50 years since the launch of the 204 Coupé, Cabriolet and Fourgonnette (van)
- 40 years since the 504 won the Morocco Rally and the 504 V6 Coupé won the Bandama Rally
- 35 years since PEUGEOT Sport was formed, combining all the skills in one Competitions Department
- 30 years since the 205 T16 won the World Rally Championship for the second time (wins in 1985/1986)
- 25 years since the launch of the compact 106
- 20 years of the Partner (commercial and passenger vehicle) – one of the UK’s best-selling LCVs